Procreate is probably the most used painting app – developed in 2013, with significant upgrade as Procreate 4 for iOS11 in late 2017.
It is the programme I have used most throughout this course. Its key features include:
- fully customisable brushes with pressure and tilt sensitivity, including possibility to completely create one’s own brushes. Procreate 4 has added blend modes to the brushes
- good selection and masking tools
- alpha-lock and fill features
- effects and blend modes to enable rapid experimentation with different colours and versions of an image
- perspective grid and perspective assist – though I find this a bit difficult to use
It is not though so easy and intuitive to use for basic sketching as the colour palette is not as accessible
Issues for my style
- Colour palette is slow to access for sketching unless working from an already existing image
- Some of the brushes eg ink brushes need quite a lot of customisation to produce interesting lines like those of Sketches or Sketchbook.
- There are so many brush options it takes quite some time to get used to how they work enough to work quickly.
- There are lots of hidden tips and tricks rthat take a long time to discover – need to study a lot of videos on You Tube to find these out.