Feedback so far
Fellow students, professionals or potential clients
My work for this module focuses on different approaches to documentary. This continues a concern with the multi-layered nature of experience of places and interplay of subjectivity and observation and the role of humour, metaphor and symbolism in communication of political messages.
It explores ways of working with and combining different media and styles from illustration, printmaking and photography.
It is concerned with questions like:
- Whose documentary are we talking about and why? how do we work with other people to get multiple perspectives both in terms of information and feedback. How do potentially conflicting perspectives modify the message. Looking particularly at what might be meant by ‘the feminist gaze’ and ‘multiculturalism’.
- When documentary – places change over time – even over a few seconds – short term, long term, historical perspective and layers – the past is always present
- Subjective perspectives: exploration and deepening understanding over time and ways in which other people have translated what they see into images
- Imagination: how I want things to be and why. Selective erasure (eg cars and rubbish bins). Simplification and expressive representation.
- Communication: what are the strengths and challenges of communicating the ‘message’ – photographs (referential but subjective selection and editing), photo-collage and photo-montage (possibilities for juxtaposition and multi-layered questioning), illustration and printmaking (possibilities for invention), video and interactive presentation. How can ‘real’ and ‘fake/imagined’ can be visually combined or distinguished.
- Why am I doing it? how best to disseminate the document and engage with the audience to make a difference