Book Design 3.2 Jabberwocky

Project 3.2 Illustrating Text

TASK
Choose two texts of up to six pages each to illustrate. Make sure that you choose texts with quite different requirements, for example a novel and an art history textbook or a book of verse and a business manual. Once you’ve selected some images, plan how you would integrate each one into the text. Give careful thought to the size and orientation of the images as well as techniques like cutting or bleeding.
Generate an enlarged copy of each of your chosen texts and mark up where and how you would illustrate them. For each image, write short notes, for example ‘cut-out image, approx. x cm by y cm’. Don’t overdo it. Remember that the illustrations are there to complement and enhance the text – not to distract the reader’s attention.

Text 1: Artistic poem: Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky front cover
Jabberwocky 2-3
Jabberwocky 4-5
Jabberwocky 6-7
Jabberwocky 8

Click here for PDF: Jaberwocky 2017  (design copyrighted)

This was an idea I have been thinking about as part of some work on Art Photography for illustrating poems, but I had never followed up on the ideas till now. The inspiration here started with the images I had taken on a walk in Holmfirth, a very sunny day with flickering light and shadow. I found them very interesting when I converted the colour images to high contrast Black and White. They reminded me of the poem Jabberwocky – but a rather sinister version. This had been a favourite poem of mine when I was a child. I researched the poem in Wikipedia and followed the weblinks from there to find out more about the meaning of the words as intended by Lewis Carol.

Jaberwocky_annotated text (see comments).

This is one of the pieces I am most proud of from my work in this course – I enjoyed doing this very much. This is the sort of work I would be very interested in pursuing further.

I worked directly in Photoshop to crop, blend and manipulate the images with the text. My first version was a bit choppy because of the small photos and my tutor thought the font and text too upbeat. In the final version above I did a lot more work on the images(eg the white dandelion and image joins) and type layout in Photoshop and changed the typeface to a more ‘spiky’ Nueva Std.