I am a photographer, artist and writer based in Cambridge, UK.
Image-making is my way of living, experiencing life and discovering new ways of looking at the world around me. Some of my work is political. Some emotionally dark. Other more ‘human’ work aims to help myself and others laugh and ‘look on the bright side of life’.
I work in a range of media. The basis is generally photography or sketching and painting from life in natural media or on my iPad. These images may then be collaged as the narrative basis for further development in different drawing, painting or printmaking media, digital software or animation. Some of my work is more experimental and abstract, exploring the range of intentional and accidental effects that can be achieved in different media, then adapting these and pushing the range of styles I can produce in other very different media. I am also interested in different forms of narrative. Some of my images are brought together as books, on-line experiences or moving image.
Much of my work has been around journeys and social and political issues in Africa and Asia connected to my professional work as consultant with international development agencies. My current work increasingly focuses on issues nearer to home – the social and environmental challenges we face in Europe and my own responsibilities within that. Alongside my own artistic practice I hope to support processes for international collaborative art, photography, video and web communications as part of peoples’ own documentation of their lives, building on participatory methodologies I used overseas.
Zemni Illustration blog brings together my illustrations and drawings in physical and digital media.
Site currently being re-designed and updated.
Other blogs and websites
This blog complements and links to my other creative and professional blogs and websites
- Zemni Images professional website that houses high resolution images of my Visual Communications portfolios and my photography portfolios and archives.
- Zemni Images blog a portfolio site that showcases the best work from my previous and current Visual Communications courses.
- Visual Communication for Development looking at issues in my professional work in international development for the OCA Visual Research course.
- Zemni Printmaking being developed and updated from my OCA printmaking courses.
- Zemni Photography from OCA photography courses I tool as a leisure student
- Zemni Moving Image blog for OCA personal development module Moving Image 1 animation.
- Gamechange Network professional consultancy blog that houses and links participatory pictorial methodologies and other outputs from the different international development projects and partners I have worked with.